Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday (17)

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill over at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we can't wait to get our hands on!
 
Waiting On Wednesday
 
This week's WoW is Splintered by A.G. Howard!
 
Splintered by A.G. Howard
 
Goodreads Synopsis:
 
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.


When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
 
My Thoughts:
 
My first reaction to this cover was, "Gahh!" followed by a flinch. For some reason, the model freaked me out and the background did as well. However, after reading countless numbers of glowing reviews, I decided to skim the summary and see what all the hype was about. After reading the summary and discovering that Splintered was actually a retelling of Alice In Wonderland, (I know I know, I'm a little slow xD) I totally understood the cover! It's absolutely brilliant and perfectly portrays the image I had in mind when I read the synopsis! And after finishing Alice in Zombieland, which had no connection to Alice In Wonderland whatsoever (unless you count the fact that both main characters had the same name -_-), I was totally psyched to read a novel that was more in line with the original plot.
 
Extra Information:
Release Date: January 1, 2013
Hardcover: 384 Pages
Publisher: Amulet Books
Genre: Retelling/Fantasy
Series: Standalone
 
How about you? What book are you waiting on this Wednesday?

3 comments:

  1. Oooh nice! Second time today I am seeing this one! Sounds awesome, yet still cannot decide if I want to read it since I have wayyyy too many books to read! Also saw it on Netgalley in case you didn't know already!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting, though I always though Alice in Wonderland was a bit scary.. ahem.. so I don't yet know if I'll read it.
    Hop you'll enjoy :)

    Here's my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know Splinterd was Alice in Wonderland retelling. I didn't like the cover also but I love retellings, so it's back on my tbr thanks to you. :) Nice pick!
    Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
    Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!