Monday, December 31, 2012

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater ReviewReading Level: Ages 14 and up
Hardcover: 416 pages
Release Date: October 18, 2012
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Narration: First Person: Sean and Puck
Genre: Mythology
Series: Standalone Novel

Order on Amazon: Hardcover
                               Kindle
Order on Barnes and Noble:
Hardcover and Nook

Author's
( Goodreads ! Website ! Twitter ! Facebook )


Amazon Summary

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.
Some riders live.
Others die.
At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.
Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a choice. So she enters the competition - the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.
As she did in her bestselling Shiver trilogy, author Maggie Stiefvater takes us to the breaking point, where both love and life meet their greatest obstacles, and only the strong of heart can survive. The Scorpio Races is an unforgettable reading experience.


My Review

The story of a friendship between a horse and it's rider.This novel takes place on the small island of Thisby where everyone knows everyone and news spreads like wildfire. This story is told in the point of view of Sean Kendrick and Puck Connolly, which is almost the only similarity between The Scorpio Races and Maggie Stiefvater's best selling series, Wolves of Mercy Falls.

Sean Kendrick is a orphan and has won the Scorpio Races four times in a row, which is almost unheard of. His best friend and only friend is Corr, a water horse or capaill uisce as they call it. Water horses are extremely dangerous, bloodthirsty creatures and it seems like the only person who can truly control them and reign in the call of the sea is Sean. Puck on the other hand, was orphaned when her parents were killed on a boat by a herd of capaill uisce. Her principle is to never ride a water horse to honor her parent's deaths, but her principles start to slip when fate doesn't give her a choice to do so.

Both Sean and Puck aren't talkative but that doesn't matter, because they understand each other and know what the other wants or needs without even speaking. There connected to each other just like there connected to their horses. The horses! Each horse had a personality of their own. Maggie describes Corr and Puck's horse Dove perfectly, and the horses themselves are as much as a character as Sean and Puck.

The beginning of this novel wasn't very entertaining. I was skipping pages hoping to find something interesting on the next page, but when Sean's and Puck's stories intertwined the novel started to pick up a bit. And that ending!!?? It was such a beautiful moment that I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

Overall, this book wasn't my favorite, but I didn't dislike it either. It was thought provoking, but I found most of it bland until the very end. Even though The Scorpio Races wasn't the book for me, people who enjoy mythology and are fond of horses are sure to love it!

Rating- 3/5

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is one of the few that I picked up and didn't want to put down. At the end of it I wanted more, I liked the characters and story so much. I can't say that about many books. This is one that I can.
    Highly recommended Brick NJ maid service information

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!