Thursday, December 20, 2012

Feature and Follow (18)

Feature and Follow is a weekly meme hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee!
 
Question: What have you learned from book blogging that you didn't know before about the publishing industry?
 
Answer: Ehm.....to be honest, I'm still rather ignorant towards the whole book publishing business, because I'm still pretty new to the book blogging world as well. However, I did manage to pick up on a few things from watching videos via YouTube, by one of my fave book reviewers, AKA CassJayTuck. To think that the actual writer, the mastermind behind a novel, usually has no say whatsoever on what their cover will look like, is just mind boggling! Don't get me wrong, I usually love the covers that the publishing companies design....but I still believe that writers should have the final say on the end result, because they are the ones who know their novels inside out, what the fans want, and the picture needed to portray their book.
 

 
 
 


How about you? What have you learned about the publishing industry?

9 comments:

  1. Some stock photos are so used us we see the same people everywhere!

    New follower via email
    Nena

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a way that's true for all of us I think. We know somethings, but not everything and I don't think you can really know all about it unless you work in the industry.

    Still, ARCs are a beautiful thing! ;)

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great week-end.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/feature-follow_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Daphne!
    Thanks so much for stopping by Pages! And you should totally take a step out there and e-mail a publisher if you see a book that you really want to review (there are some tips you should know about contacting about ARCs: like, to contact about 3 months before the publication date, or sooner, and all this other stuff. I suggest checking The Story Siren's Blogger Tips and Tricks for more about it)
    I completely agree about the cover issue. I'm kind of in awe about the pool of swirly, air-brushed models in fancy dresses that look like they're constipated, dark mess of covers that the companies are spewing. The author KNOWS THE BOOK the best, and probably has an image of his/her dream cover in his/her head. Some cover artists don't even read the book (and it's obvious in the cover) and just make pretty covers to sell books. ~sigh~

    I'm a new follower :)
    -Kirthi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the advice! I've been a little hesitant on emailing a publisher, because they seem so big and I feel so small! xD

      Delete
  5. I would agree with you about authors deserving a say about their covers...but I think most publishers' marketing gurus think that it's the authors' job to write the book...and that's it. Once authors are widely known, they can provide input on covers. Anyway, thanks for hopping by my blog and for the follow. I followed back. And your blog design rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. Thanks for stopping by the blog! Followed back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I had no idea the authors had no say in what their covers look like!

    Old follower. My FF: http://2ndbooktotheright.blogspot.com/2012/12/feature-and-follow-friday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's true about the covers.. You would think they had a say. Old follower hopping thru PageGirlsPageofBookReviews

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!