Saturday, December 15, 2012

Throne Of Glass Novellas by Sarah J. Maas


The Assassin and the Desert, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, The Assassin and the Underworld, The Assassin and the Empire, Throne of Glass Novellas Sarah MaasReading Level: Ages 12 and up
Page Number: 70-104 Pages
Release Dates: January 13-July 20, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Narration: Third Person: Celaena
Genre: Fantasy

Prequel Series:
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
The Assassin and the Desert
The Assassin and the Underworld
The Assassin and the Empire

Throne of Glass Series:
Book One: Throne of Glass

Order On Amazon: Kindle

Author's
( Goodreads ! Website ! Twitter ! Facebook )

My Review:

I have always disliked novellas. It doesn't matter if it's written by my favorite author or the author I loathe the most, I treat them all the same. However, after reading a glowing review that promised that I would love the novellas if I enjoyed the original book, I decided to give them a chance before I automatically threw them in my not interested pile. I was so happy that I did! Sarah managed to entrance me with her plot, her story, and her characters. It takes a truly talented author to make me feel so many strong and overwhelming emotions within the span of 100 pages, or less.
 
Celaena Sardothien (Bless her heart!) is definitely on my list of top ten favorite heroines of 2012! All of the actions she took were true to her character! She was headstrong, brave, and unable to be broken. But even though she seemed so untamable and resilient on the outside, she was still human. And being human meant that she still had faults. Her most prominent ones being arrogance, vainess, and vulnerability when it comes to feelings. Even though I can't wield a dagger as deftly as Celaena or even have the guts to do what she was forced to do at the young age of eight, those faults helped me connect and understand her character better. It was enlightening to read about Celeana's background story and how she came to be "The Spirit Who Could Not Be Broken" in Throne of Glass. Every hardship she went through, from defeating the Pirate Lord to earning the Mute Master's respect, made her stronger and braver.
 
I was looking forward to Sam's character the most! In Throne of Glass, we see little snippets of information on who Sam was and still is to Celaena. At first, I was confused while reading The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, because they seemed to hate each other with a passion. And rather then be madly in love, they were at each other's throats every single second of the day. However, as the story progressed, my eyes were opened to the connection they had built over time. Instead of seeing Sam as her competition and enemy, she starts falling in love with him little by little. Sam was thoughtful and always payed attention to her wants even when she was just joking around. There were so many moments when they each sacrificed something for each other, which induced so many "Awwww!" reactions from me.
 
Every single one of these novellas were well paced! Sarah managed to include just the right amount of action and romance. There was NEVER a dull moment when I was wondering if there was going to be something more interesting on the next page, as I usually do with other novellas. The humor was funny as well! Sam and Celaena start off with a hate relationship that resulted in alot of snappy comebacks and witty conversations (Hilarious by the way!) and even when they did finally admit their feelings for each other, Celeana didn't let her love get the best of her. She still remained the strong, capable character she was, and argued with Sam every time something didn't go her way.
 
Overall, I'm going to agree with the previously written statement. If you read and loved Throne of Glass, you'll love the novellas as well! Each novella consists of a quest or mission that either Celeana alone or Celeana and Sam, work to overcome. Every task she encounters, she undoubtedly succeeds. Every hardship she's faced with, she overcomes. Every time someone knocks her down, she gets back up again. And that's why I loved these novellas so very much! :D

Heroine- 5/5
Romance- 5/5
Comedy- 5/5
Action- 5/5
Overall- 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Great Review! I can't wait to get my hands on these now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! I LOVED Throne of Glass, but I haven't had a chance to read these shorts yet. Thanks for reminding me to pick them up. I'll have to feature them on my SSS soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even realize there were novellas! Must get now!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!