Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Shade Of Vampire by Bella Forrest

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest ReviewPaperback: 147 Pages
Release Date: December 17, 2012
Publisher: Self Published
Narration: First Person: Sofia and Derek
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Vampires
Source: Author
 
A Shade Of Vampire Series
Book One: A Shade of Vampire
Book Two: ????
Book Three: ????
 
Order On Amazon: Paperback
                                Kindle
 
Author's
 
Goodreads Synopsis:
 
On the evening of Sofia Claremont's 17th birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.

An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?
 
My Review:
 
If I wasn't asked to write a review on A Shade of Vampire, I probably would've skipped right over it involuntarily. Why? Because covers are always the first thing to catch my eye, and this one just didn't pop out for me. It wasn't exactly unattractive, it just wasn't the type of novel to make me automatically want to read it. However, after I finished reading the novel and decided to take a closer look, I understood where the author was coming from and the scene she was trying to portray. The only thing I would've tried to change would be the font. Maybe into something more elegant and medieval looking, perhaps?
 
This novel was told from the perspectives of Sofia Claremont and Derek Novak. When I was reading from Sofia's POV, I pictured her as more of a quiet, sensitive, and delicate character. Somewhat like one of those furry little shivering rabbits you see in a pet store.
 
Exhibit A


Awwww, isn't she so adorable!? However, when we read from Derek's point of view, you see that she is, in fact, not a weak character, but instead a kind hearted soul who would try to comfort others even when she was scared to death herself.
 
Derek Novak, a dark royal vampire Prince, has spent his entire existence trying to escape from his prophesied reign. He was even desperate enough to ask a witch to put him under a deep sleeping curse so that he would never have to wake up again. However, Derek soon discovered that no matter what you do, you can't run away from your destiny forever. I really enjoyed Derek's character! Even though he's been surrounded by vampires for almost his entire life, he never once let them corrupt him. Derek was a walking paradox, as Sofia stated. He was a soulless being desperately searching for humanity like a shriveled up plant striving for sustenance.
 
The romance wasn't exactly what you would call an Insta-Love, since Sofia did something distinct enough to gain the young prince's attention, rather than a love at first sight thing. However, in my opinion, I still think that the romance progressed just a little too fast. But if you ignore that fact, then yes it was a pretty well written love story! The small things that Sofia did for Derek were so adorably sweet! And the way Derek tried his best to change his vampiristic ways for Sofia was beautiful as well!
 
Since A Shade of Blood is only about 147 pages long, it was a fairly quick read! I never once got bored with what was happening or skimming pages for something better on the next page. The ending was slightly on the cliche side of things, but that kind of epic and foreboding sort of conclusion never fails to make me want to read the sequel, so I guess it fulfilled its purpose well!
 
Overall, if your looking for a fast and exciting paranormal romance, then this is the book for you! I will definitely be looking forward to reading more about Derek and Sofia's adventures in the future!
 
Heroine- 3.5/5
Romance- 4/5
Action- 4/5
Comedy- N/A
Overall- 4/5 
 

3 comments:

  1. loved this book and am looking forward to the next one in this series. When will it be out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! The second book in the series dosen't have a set release date yet, but you can subscribe to her website, www.forrestbooks.com, for the newest updates! :)

      Delete
  2. Luv luv luv this book.don't normally read this kind of genre..can't wait for book 2..

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!