Friday, September 14, 2012

Starling by Lesley Livingston

Starling by Lesley Livingston ReviewReading Level: Ages 13 and up
Hardcover: 352 pages
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: YA Mythology

Book One: Starling

Order on Amazon: Hardcover
                               Kindle
Order on Barnes and Noble:
Hardcover and Nook

Goodreads Summary:

Mason Starling is a champion fencer on the Gosforth Academy team, but she's never had to fight for her life. Not until the night a ferocious, otherworldly storm rips through Manhattan, trapping Mason and her teammates inside the school. Mason is besieged by nightmarish creatures more terrifying than the thunder and lightning as the raging tempest also brings a dangerous stranger into her life: a young man who remembers nothing but his name--the Fennrys Wolf. His arrival tears Mason's world apart, even as she feels an undeniable connection to him. Together, they seek to unravel the secrets of Fenn's identity as strange and supernatural forces gather around them. When they discover Mason's family--with its dark allegiance to ancient Norse gods--is at the heart of the mystery, Fennrys and Mason are suddenly faced with a terrifying future.

Set against the gritty, shadowed back-drop of New York City, this first novel in award-winning author Lesley Livingston's epic Starling Saga is an intoxicating blend of sweeping romance and pulse-pounding action.


My Review:

Norse Mythology! Yaaayyyyyy! I've never seen any YA books on Norse Mythology before so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one! However, I didn't enjoy Lesley Livingston's first series Wondrous Strange so I was a little skeptical to as if I would enjoy her new series. I kept sliding this book up and down on my to be read pile, but my curiosity won out so I finally cracked open this book after days of procrastinating.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I started this book. Starling starts off with one of the most intense and heart racing scenes I've ever read. I know that alot of people don't like books that start off with so much action and not enough introductions, but I loved it! It captured my attention and I was soon turning page after page wondering what happens next!

Mason, wasn't one of my favorite heroines but she wasn't a weak character either. One of the unique things about Mason is that she's a fencer. There were two reasons that I loved this! One reason was that it was a fresh and a unique idea. I don't see many fencers in YA novels, in fact I haven't seen any. The second reason is that I love a heroine who can kick ass! My dislikes? She accepted all of this magic and gods mumbo jumbo way to easily. She barely even questioned it and just accepted it for what it was. She met Fenn when she was being attacked by "storm zombies" as they put it and yet the second time they meet, she goes on a walk with him...alone...in the middle of the night. I mean, I know he saved her life and everything but I would still be a little more wary about a mysterious naked man showing up in a tree surrounded by freaking zombies....

Fenn, the alluring and fascinating stranger was my favorite character! He was sweet, even scary sometimes, yet he was still vulnerable. How would you feel if you had no memory of who (or "what" in his case) you were? I can tell you that I would panic right then and there. He's drawn to Mason as soon as they meet, but throughout the novel his affection for her grows to the point that he would do anything to save and protect her.

In my opinion, Heather, Mason's best friend, wasn't a realistic character. A normal teenage girl who has a boyfriend who's in love with another girl doesn't just become best friends with the very girl her boyfriend is in love with. Throughout the whole novel I was just waiting for her to betray Mason or turn her in or something! And Mason's brother Rory? Gahh! He was sadistic enough to give me the eebiejeebies! *Shivers*

Overall, Starling is a action packed book that any Mythology lovers are sure to adore. There was tons of Norse Mythology intertwined with Starling, but you have to reread it a couple of times in order to understand what it means. This isn't a obsess worthy book, but it's definitely a book worth reading.

Notes:
  • There are some connections between Wonderous Strange and Starling, but they can be read in any order.

Heroine/Hero- 3/5
Romance- 3/5
Action- 4.5/5
Comedy- 3/5
Overall- 3.5/5

1 comment:

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!