Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin ReviewReading Level: Ages 14 and up
Hardcover: 544 Pages
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Books for Young Readers
Narration: First Person: Mara Dyer
Genre: Mystery/Paranormal
Challenge: Paranormal Reading Challenge
Source: Library

Order On Amazon: Hardcover
                               Kindle
Order On Barnes and Noble:
Hardcover and Nook

Mara Dyer Series:
Book One: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Book Two: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Book Three: The Retribution of Mara Dyer
                                                (10/22)
Author's
( Goodreads ! Website ! Twitter )

Goodreads Synopsis:

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?


My Review:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer left me breathless. The sequel rendered me speechless.
 
It's been days since I've read The Evolution of Mara Dyer, but even now, every single time my mind wanders in that direction, I have this almost irresistible urge to jump up and down and start hyperventilating like a little kid in a candy store. There are so many great and downright creepy things in this novel! I'm so relieved that I decided to read this in broad daylight, because if I hadn't, I would have definitely flinched at every single rustle of sound thinking that somewhere, out there, Jude was watching me.This is the type of novel to make you want to turn every single light in your house on. To check behind your shower curtain and under your bed just to make sure that there aren't any murderers lurking in the shadows. If you scare easily and still wish to read The Evolution of Mara Dyer, despite all my warnings, I urge you to proceed with caution.
 
I absolutely adored the protagonist, Mara. If I had the misfortune to be caught in her position, I would've cracked and gone 100% insane eons ago. I'm usually really good at distinguishing between the truth and the red herrings as well as figuring out answers way before the characters themselves do. But with Mara? It was just a huge jumble of puzzle pieces that I couldn't fit together no matter how hard I struggled to. Because, let's face it, she's not exactly what you would call the most reliable character.

At times you might think that she's just a misunderstood girl who wields a deathly power that no one understands. Not even herself. But other times......Michelle makes you wonder. Is she really insane? Are her hallucinations based on things that have actually occurred in the past or are going to occur in the future? Or are they the product of PSTD and a heightened sense of paranoia?  Her parents didn't make things any better either. Even though I knew that all they wanted was for their daughter to get better again, they could've at least taken the time to hear her out instead of nodding condescendingly every time she uttered a word.
 
Noah Shaw. I haven't been this swoony over a male character since Daemon Black from The Lux Series and Kaidan whatever his last name is from the Sweet Evil Trilogy. That's definitely saying something because Daemon's and Kaidan's sexiness can not even be comprehended or described from words of the English language. Why oh why can't boys like this exist in real life? British accent, dangerous, dark, mysterious, compassionate, and witty. What more could a girl ever want? The conversations between Mara and Noah always had me laughing out loud and clutching my stomach from not being able to catch my breath! Knowing my luck, those out loud moments always occurred during very inappropriate moments.
 
The relationships in this novel were beautifully written and perfectly executed. Not very often do we see such a strong bond between brother and sister. That one time when Daniel had to share his secret thoughts about Mara during an activity in the insane institution/Rehab Center was just So. Freaking. Beautiful. I was reduced to a sobbing, blubbering mess of tears. And Noah? The romance between them wasn't perfect. No romance ever is, which is why I loved this novel so much. We don't see the same, "He fell in love with her. She fell in love with him. He left because of some paranormal reason to protect the one he loved" sort of crap. Even though they did have fallouts and kept secrets from each other once in a while, they stuck together during the good and the bad times.
 
Loved the pacing of this novel! There was always so much stuff happening and your just continually bombarded left and right with questions! We get a little more background information on both of our main characters, but those answers just lead to more and more questions. I could barely make any guesses on where the novel was going next. Every plot twist, with the exception of one or two, took me by surprise. I was absolutely flabbergasted. And the end? I'm sure that everybody finds that to be such a big cliffhanger, but it can't be true. It's impossible. Michelle wouldn't do that to us. Right? .....o.o
 
Overall, please do yourself a favor and pick this book up as soon as you can. I might even get my mom to drive me to Barnes and Noble right now just to get a copy for the purpose of staring at it all day and thinking of the beautiful, masterpiece that is known as Noah Shaw. *Happy Sighs* A great read for everyone......except the fainthearted and easily spooked that is....*Evil grins*
 
Favorite Quotes:
 
“We are far too screwed up for a goddamned love triangle.”
― Michelle Hodkin, The Evolution of Mara Dyer
 
“You’re stronger than you believe. Don’t let your fear own you. Own yourself.”
― Michelle Hodkin, The Evolution of Mara Dyer
 
“I'm not sure you can appreciate how much I want to lay you out before me
and make you scream my name.”
― Michelle Hodkin, The Evolution of Mara Dyer
 
“It doesn't matter what we are. It matters what we do.”
― Michelle Hodkin, The Evolution of Mara Dyer
 
Heroine- 5/5
Romance- 5/5
Action- 5/5
Comedy- 6/5
Uniqueness- 5/5
Writing Style- 5/5
Overall- 6/5
 


2 comments:

  1. Amazing review! This one left me speechless also! It was beyond amazing and I could fan girl all day long :). Love that point about Noah and Mara's relationship! I would also compare Noah to Daemon and Kaiden! He is just perfect!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honest review, Daphne. I may try out the first in series, but at least I don't feel in a rush any longer and can concentrate on the unread books already on my shelf :)

    Zaira Lynn (Fishing Charter Skagway)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys and read every single comment posted! :D If you follow me or post a comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the favor. :) This is now an award free blog. I'm truly honored that you thought of me, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to nominate others. Happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my blog!